1. Do not start too fast . Start at a speed you believe to be a pace you can hold throughout all 37 floors. If halfway through the climb around floor 18 you are feeling energetic then pickup your pace a little. If you are going for a fast time really save any extra energy for the last 4-5 floors and finish strong.
2. If you are tall enough you may want to skip one step and take two steps at a time.
3. No matter if you are a one stepper or two-stepper you will want to pull up on the handrails as you ascend. This arm motion will save on leg energy and lactic acid buildup in the leg muscles.
4. Since our muscle fiber consists of water make sure to stay well hydrated race day, days before the race and especially during all workouts.
5. All climbers go into the stairs at about 8-10 second intervals to make the stairwells less crowded. If you need to pass let others know your intentions with a quick word such as “Passing” or “Coming Around” or a tap on the shoulder. If your goal is not a fast time but just to finish try to start towards the end of the line and be aware of anyone behind you on the stairs who wants to pass.
6. About 4-5 days before the climb stop exercising or taper down on any hard workouts. This will allow your muscles to be well rested for March 19th.
7. MAKE IT FUN! Savor each and every moment from the time before the climb , going up the steps and especially the ecstasy of the finish and it’s high rise views.